Pay Range: $12.92 - $14.79 per hour, depending on education and experience.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Position Summary: Under general supervision of the Campus Landscape Supervisor, the incumbent of this position performs daily detailed technical levels of green space and hardscape maintenance to ensure a high quality of landscape care within an assigned area of the campus landscape. The incumbent observes and promotes safe work practices and procedures and follows professional landscape maintenance standards, while safely and competently operating and performing basic maintenance on vehicles, tools, and equipment such as lawn mowers, trucks, power leaf rakes, tractors, forklifts, skid-steer loaders, tillers, shovels, wheelbarrows, string trimmers, aerators, saws, pruning devices, chainsaws, rakes and irrigation systems. Specific responsibilities include: maintaining safe, healthy and attractive shrubs, vines, and trees up to twenty feet; maintaining safe, healthy and attractive turf on lawns, recreation and athletic fields; maintaining clan, safe and attractive hardscapes; maintaining safe, healthy and attractive flowering, herbaceous and woody planting beds; supporting the facilities Snow and Ice Removal program; applying pesticides to landscape areas, maintaining a pesticide applicator's license; and contributing to the team effort. This is an essential position that will be called upon in the event of an emergency and/or University Closure.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High School Degree or GED.
- Combination of education and experience totaling 3 years of progressive knowledge and capabilities relating to commercial/institutional landscape care.
- Experience with: general standards involving current landscape maintenance techniques; woody and herbaceous plant care; currently accepted pruning standards; and related safety practices.
- Experience applying knowledge of irrigation system maintenance, operation, and minor repairs.
- Must possess a Commercial Pesticide Applicators Certification for the category of Ornamental/Landscape Herbicide Application or have the ability to obtain certification within the first six months of employment.
- 2 years of experience competently, safely, and effectively operating and maintaining landscape equipment and hand and power tools associated with landscape maintenance; performing mechanical repair and maintenance on landscape equipment; reading landscape chemical directions and labels; and mixing and applying landscape chemicals safely, competently and effectively.
- Experience using computer software and applications for word processing, email and internet research.
- Must possess: a valid motor vehicle operators license and be able to meet policy requirements for driving University vehicles.
- Associates Degree or BS in Horticulture; Urban Forestry; Landscape Maintenance; or any related field.
- 2-4 years additional experience in commercial or institutional landscape care operations.
- Certification in operation of a variety of landscape equipment which could include: forklifts; tractors; aerial lifts, etc.
- Experience with climbing and working at various heights above ground using ladders, scaffolding or lift and bucket trucks.
- Experience with communication skills, good human relations skills, and a willingness to participate routinely in a team environment.
- Experience with powered sprayers/pumps.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions: - Ability to lift and carry or otherwise move up to 60 pounds in a routine, repetitive manner as needed.- Ability to bend, stoop, crawl, twist, dig, climb, and walk on a routine basis throughout the work day.- Ability to work routinely on uneven and slick surfaces.- Occasional confined space situations.- Must be able to safely and competently climb ladders of various heights on a routine basis.- Must be willing to be contacted outside of normal business hours for an event, on-call or emergency work, including snow removal.- 95% outdoor work in inclement weather conditions year round. 5% shop, training, and other indoor tasks as needed.- Must be able to work in adverse weather and environmental conditions, such as rain, snow, dust, vapors, etc.- During seasonal snow removal, extended work shifts and additional night shifts are required.- Must work safely in high traffic/congested pedestrian areas.- Must wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while operating and working around various landscape equipment and performing landscape duties.
Posting Number: SP002364P
Posting Date: 11/26/2019
Closing Date: 12/15/2019
Open Until Filled: No
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. One of the nation’s land-grant research universities, U of I is a noted national leader in student-centered learning and interdisciplinary research that promotes public service. Our work serves businesses and communities, advancing the pursuit of diversity, citizenship and global outreach.