Allied Health - Staff/Administrative, Medical School/Programs, Staff/Administrative
Position Title: Patient Services Assistant (Floater)
Classification Title: FT Staff Non Union
City/Campus: Detroit - Corktown
Department: Dental Clinic
Position Status: Full Time
Assist all PSA’s with facilitating, coordinating, and maximization of the patient care experience, of a group of patients and the dental clinic educational experience of a group of dental and dental hygiene students. Assist the Clinic Lead in monitoring clinical activities and progress of assigned students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Assist all PSA’s assigned to specific groups within the clinic as needed. Fill in for absences, as needed in clinic if a critical patient concern pulls them away from clinic, and rotating among the groups to accommodate regulation of work schedules.
(2) Assist in scheduling and recalls within all of the groups filling vacancies by working the wait lists and recall lists. Follow up with missed screening patient appointments by sending out interest letters for failed screening appointments.
(3) Oversee medical consultations assuring timeliness of return and entry into patient record.
(4) Assist with making sure special needs patients are appointed accurately and timely. Verify that each patient has a stipend form completed at the end of every visit.
(5) Assist as needed with any patients requests, questions, or concerns.
(6) Assist all PSA’s with any administrative task as necessary (returning phone calls, assisting PSA’s with patients that need commitment agreements.)
(7) Providing new patients information about the rights and responsibilities and expectations related tot becoming a patient of record in the pre-doctoral program.
(8) Assist with new patient screening process working with the student and/or Clinic Lead to assure that patient is screened in a timely manner.
(9) Handle all transferred calls when PSA’s are absence or on the clinic floor.
(10) Assist with assigning screening and emergency patients.
(11) Assist in any other area of the clinic and/or with other responsibilities as assigned or requested.
High School Diploma/Equivalent required.
5 years minimum Dental Assisting/Dental Hygiene experience in a busy multi provider general dental practice.
Must have experience communicating over the telephone in a professional setting and scheduling dental appointments.
Associates Degree or Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Experience with an electronic health record and with scheduling appointments using an electronic appointment schedule.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Qualified candidate must have exceptional customer service skills, strong verbal and written communication skills; effective problem solving skills, and strong organizational skills.
Must be comfortable and competent working within a diverse population with the ability to work independently and within a team.
Individual must be competent using a PC. Must be knowledgeable with Microsoft Word.
Must be knowledgeable of dental terminology and dental procedures.
Must have manual dexterity to use a keyboard and the ability to move freely throughout the clinic.
Standard office environment with high traffic volume.
Current CPR/BLS certification is required.
Open Date: 11/01/2019
Salary/Pay Information: Minimum $15.29 per hour
40 hour/week between 8:00 am and 5:30 pm
This could be a FT Staff or Dental Modified position – when the students are on break (from 1 day to 2 weeks at a time, this position does not work) as determined through the Dental School Academic Calendar.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: SF9778-CL001-0618-1185
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.