Allied Health - Staff/Administrative, Healthcare, Staff/Administrative
Position Title: Dental Assistant - Oral Surgery
Classification Title: FTM Staff Dental Modified
City/Campus: Detroit - Corktown
Department: Oral Surgery
Position Status: Full Time Modified
This position is designed to provide clinical and chairside assistance for multiple providers in a busy surgical environment. Responsibilities include assisting in 4 handed dentistry in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery and providing assistance in all areas of the clinic as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Perform all dental assisting duties as they relate to Oral Surgery.
(2) Complete necessary tasks with central dispensary/sterilization area including receiving, setting up and distributing surgical trays and materials.
(3) Assist in ordering: stock, distribute, and receive materials, supplies, and disposables.
(4) Set up and break down each unit according to OSHA guidelines, maintain units (water lines, suction units, etc.) Assure all providers are following proper infection control procedures.
(5) Assure proper handling of bio-hazardous materials.
(6) Assist in documentation of treatment in patient record and for billing purposes.
(7) Assist in any capacity of patient care as necessary.
(8) Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma/equivalent required.
2 years minimum chairside assisting experience in a busy multi-provider dental practice.
Knowledge of and experience assisting with implant placement.
Competent computer skills. Experience using an electronic health record and computerized scheduling preferred.
Experience processing digital radiographs preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must be competent in dental terminology and instrumentation, processing and mounting digital radiographs including Panorex. Knowledgeable of and competent assisting with Oral and Maxillofacial surgical procedures.
Must be able to sit for extended periods of time and bend and reach. Must have manual dexterity to manage four handed dentistry and instrument transfer. Must be mobile and able to move throughout the building to escort patients to and from the operatory.
Busy Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery office within a busy academic setting.
Must have current BLS certification and current radiology certification.
Open Date: 09/25/2019
Salary/Pay Information: $14.00 per hour
40 hours/week varied Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 6:30 pm.
This is a Dental Modified Position.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: SD9990-TD001-0618-1174
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.