The Assistant Director will be the lead person for student staff recruitment selection, and training (student staffing includes the Resident Advisers, the Student Office Assistants (SOA) in conjunction with the Office Manager, the Desk Assistants (DA)and Game Room staffing in conjunction the Residential Life Graduate Assistant and the Summer Conference Assistants (SCA) in conjunction with the Assistant Director with summer staffing responsibilities. They will be the lead person for organizing department developmental activities for all student employees on an annual and as needed basis. They will be the point of contact between HRL & Human Resources for student employment. They will take responsibility for selection, training and development of the Residence Life Graduate Assistant. The Assistant Director also participates in an on-call rotation for after hour emergencies and is the person responsible for creating the on-call schedule each semester. The Assistant Director will advise the Residence Hall Honor Council and may be responsible for the ACUHO·I Summer Intern process (including selection and supervision in conjunction with the Director. The Assistant Director for Residence Education will serve as the department point person in the absence of the Director.
This is a live-on position; a 2-bedroom furnished apartment with utilities including basic cable and internet is provided for the Assistant Director for Residence Education. The Assistant Director for Residence Education does not provide direct oversight or supervision for the community in which they live.
- Recruit, select/hire, and train student staffing (RA, DA, SOA, SCA, game room staff) and provides department-wide developmental activities for all student staff and ensure consistent training, evaluation and selection occurs department-wide. Provides assistance with evaluation of all student staff. Provide assessment data supporting the effectiveness of training efforts.
- Responsible for creating the on-call professional/graduate staff on- call schedule Participates in on-call rotation. Is available to students and others on campus in the event of an emergency.
- Adjudicate issues of student conduct and provide support and education for students who are struggling at the university. Advise the Residence Hall Honor Council.
- Responsible for recruitment, selection, training and evaluation of Residential Life Graduate Assistant. Provides development of their supervision skills of the Desk Assistants and game room staff. Assist with their competency development in housing and residence life functions.
- Provide support during large scale events (Move-UP, OAR orientation, department/division wide events, Fab Fridays, Open House, etc.).
- Coordinate the ACUHO·I Summer Intern process and provide supervision to the intern in conjunction with the Director.
- Other duties as assigned by Director.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating Graduate Assistant and the ACUHO-I Summer Intern (in consultation with the Director).
Advertised Minimum Qualifications :
Master's degree in Student Services or related field and 1 year related experience post Master's, or bachelor's degree and 3 years related experience in Residence Life post Bachelor's. Valid driver's license, a good driving record, and a successful background check are required. Available to students and others on campus in the event of an emergency.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Internal Number: 67737
About The University of South Carolina
The University of South Carolina System is comprised of the state’s flagship university in Columbia (founded in 1801 and currently one of the top 50 “Best Colleges” according to U.S. News and World Report), three regional comprehensive universities (USC Aiken, USC Beaufort and USC Upstate), and Palmetto College consisting of four two-year campuses (USC Lancaster, USC Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union and Fort Jackson/Extended University). Together, the USC System institutions offer more than 450 degree programs on campus and online and are uniquely positioned to meet the state’s educational, cultural, health and research needs. The System employs nearly 14,000 people who work daily to improve the lives of students, fellow South Carolinians and the world. Our diverse engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.