Develop and execute strategies for engaging alumni, parents/families, and friends of the college to secure their support for Denison through philanthropy, advocacy, and service. Develop appropriate metrics to measure the success of engagement strategies. Develop meaningful connections and affinity between alumni/parents and the college. Manage a team of six staff, and report to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement as a member of the Advancement Division's Leadership Team. Oversee the planning, execution, and evaluation of programs that strengthen connections between the Denison family and the college, including Big Red Weekend, Reunion Weekend, and Commencement. Plan and execute events involving alumni and parents, working closely with campus partners. Staff the Alumni Council and assist in the leadership development of the Council executive team by co-defining goals, objectives and executing priorities that are consistent with furthering institutional goals.
Essential Job Functions:
● Lead a staff of six Alumni and Family Engagement (AFE) team members who have functional oversight of alumni and family engagement programs, activities, and communications; programs and activities include Reunion Weekend, Big Red Weekend, Commencement, and a variety of on- and off-campus events. Oversee communications including monthly e-newsletters to alumni and parents (to be closely coordinated with University Communications), event invitations and announcements, social media presence, promotional materials, etc.
● Unite the collective, focused talents and energies of the AFE team to conceive and develop engagement strategies that secure philanthropic support, and develop enthusiastic and well-informed advocates for the college, its mission, and its objectives.
● Develop, implement and track metrics to assess engagement effort success.
● Lead staff in supporting and encouraging Denison's alumni affinity groups, including: The Black Alumni Association; Denison Pride; athletic alumni groups; Greek alumni organizations; the Denison Singers, The Hilltoppers, Ladies Night Out, Tehillah and other musical groups, et al.
● Build on the close partnership with the Knowlton Center for Career Exploration in offering career networking and other career-related programming to students and alumni.
● Leverage alumni/parent/friend engagement to further Denison's objectives, working with academic departments and university offices.
● Participate in campus activities, such as arts and athletic events, lectures, and student performances, as well as major institutional events like First-Year Induction Ceremony, Big Red Weekend, Reunion Weekend, and Commencement.
● Be an active participant in the Granville and Licking County communities.
● Serve as a well-informed, enthusiastic representative of the college locally, nationally and internationally.
● Work collaboratively within a diverse community with multiple constituencies, building cooperation and consensus.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 7 years of work experience in advancement, customer engagement, marketing, brand management, or comparable field.
Sound knowledge of customer engagement, analytics and assessment, and importance of brand. Ability to develop customer engagement and marketing strategies that support alumni and family engagement objectives. Ability to leverage institutional messaging to align with engagement and fundraising goals.
Strong writing, editing, and public speaking skills. Leadership skills, including the ability to motivate, inspire and encourage. Collaborative and results-driven style that keeps Denison front and center. Analytical mindset with the ability to ask the right questions. Strategic thinker and creative problem-solver. Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence quotient.
Strong attention to detail and organization. Ability to manage concurrent projects with overlapping deadlines. Have a high degree of discretion and confidentiality. Ability to work evenings and weekends frequently.
Travel within the continental United States (and occasionally internationally) to meet with Denison constituents, and implement activities and programming.
To achieve our mission as a liberal arts college, we continually strive to foster a diverse campus community, which recognizes the value of all persons regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or socio-economic background. For additional information and resources about diversity at Denison, please see our Diversity Guide. Denison University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Background Check Statement:
The final candidate will undergo a background check as a conditional offer of employment.
Internal Number: 2513
About Denison University
Denison University is an academically rigorous liberal arts college with a diverse campus community. It offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Denison is located in the village of Granville, 25 minutes from Columbus Ohio, the state capital, which hosts a wide range of cultural and artistic opportunities. Granville also offers an excellent public school system and easy access to outdoor activities.