To enhance the aesthetics of the University with the installation and maintenance of the campus landscape. Remove snow and ice from the roads and sidewalks on campus. Work hours may change subject to the needs of the University. This position is mission critical.
Primary Responsibilities :
1. Maintain the landscaping at the University.
2. Plant and install trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals.
3. Keep the University free of ice and snow. This service is mission critical.
4. Apply pesticides, insecticides and herbicides. Keep records of all chemical applications and follow all the rules and regulations necessary to be compliant.
6. Assist with project and landscape design.
7. Plant propagation using methods that include seeding, cuttings and division.
8. Response to emergency situations as necessary during and after normal work hours.
9. Assist Operations & Maintenance Department, campus and community with issues related to the outdoor environment.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Associates Degree or Technical/Vocational Certificate in landscape development, horticulture, landscape design, turf-grass science and arbor-culture with 2 years of experience strongly preferred;
Acceptable equivalency is high school diploma/GED with 5 years of related experience;
May be filled at a lower level
1. valid driver’s license; 2. Pesticide Applicator’s License or 6 months to obtain this license; 3. basic computer skills; 4. ability to work in adverse weather conditions, i.e. hot, cold, rain, snow, sleet, ice, etc; 5. good communication skills to interact with supervisors, co-workers and university community regarding work to be accomplished; 6. ability to operate all related equipment including, but not limited to, hand tools (shovels, rakes, picks, pruning tools, etc), dump/pickup trucks, bobcats, tractors, loaders, seeders, aerators, sprayers, snow plows, gators, golf carts, chainsaws, pesticides, fertilizers, etc. 7. ability to perform medium heavy to maximum physical exertion and lifting 50 lbs. or more on a regular basis; 8. ability to work any and all hours necessary including responding to emergencies outside normal working hours to meet the needs of the university.
Any candidate chosen for this position will be required to undergo a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law.
Northern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We embrace inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of our work and seek excellence through diversity among our students, administrators, faculty, and staff. Application by members of diverse groups is encouraged.
Minimum Education: High School Diploma
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Quick Link: 8451
Internal Number: 8451
About Northern Kentucky University
NKU is a growing metropolitan university of more than 14,000 students served by more than 2,000 faculty and staff on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati.
Located in the quiet suburb of Highland Heights, Kentucky—just seven miles southeast of Cincinnati—we have become a leader in Greater Cincinnati and Kentucky by providing a private school education for a fraction of the cost.
While we are one of the fastest growing universities in Kentucky, our professors still know our students' names.