Reporting to the Director of External Relations, the Concerts Manager coordinates the front-of-house activity of Blair events and provides overall administrative support in key areas of concert program design/production for the Concerts Committee. This person works independently to ensure performance programs are produced according to deadlines and style consistency and has impeccable people skills as the public face of the Blair School of Music to patrons.
The Blair School concerts team is a small, tight knit unit. Concerts Manager reports directly to Director of External Relations; shares an office and works very closely with Schedule Coordinator; works closely with Technical Director and other technical staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
Event Management * Determines front-of-house staffing needs for all events, including outside rental groups, and provides hands-on management of those staffers. * Manages a team of 5-6 regular part-time front-of-house staff, including their annual performance reviews and payroll. * Principal liaison between front-of-house staff, the technical crew and the concerts department to ensure all audience and performer expectations are met to provide a seamless and positive concert experience for all involved.
* Works with Director of External Relations to ensure contractual responsibilities of guest performers are met (technical and artist hospitality demands, for example).
* During events, assists patrons, monitors the lobby, monitoring and reporting safety, maintenance and housekeeping issues with the performance halls, lobbies and dressing rooms; assesses and resolves any situations that arise * Complies and reviews performance reports after every event, analyzing event attendance and overall audience experience and suggesting opportunities and improvements to the Director of External Relations. * Along with the Scheduling Coordinator and other members of the Concerts Committee, helps determine which of our in-house performance venues is the best fit for student, faculty, guest and rental performers, balancing performer requests with the school's academic mission and facilities requirements.
* Responsible for soliciting student ushers, and works with the student groups that provide those volunteers to set their schedules.
* Key member of the Concerts Committee (composed of key full-time Blair faculty and staff members), planning and scheduling guest, faculty and student concerts throughout the year, balancing academic requirements with outreach opportunities to increase the school's awareness and reputation in the academic world and in Nashville's arts community. * Works with Director of External Relations to concept and create promotional materials, including concert programs, promotional booklets and brochures, and online materials. * Maintains the PR office's program-printing budget and will be the primary contact for Vanderbilt's Printing Services. * Creates concert programs for all faculty performers, signature ensembles, guest artists and student recitals -- approximately 250-300 programs per year. * Assists the Director of External Relations maintaining the school's various social media accounts and online event listings to generate interest and awareness of our concerts and events. * Maintains an up-to-date database of faculty members' bio statements. * Maintains grammatical standards and stylistic consistency of printed programs. * Coordinates timely production and printing of programs, working closely with Blair faculty and Printing Services, and ensures timely delivery of programs to the performers, technical crew and front-of-house lobby staff.
Supervisory Relationships Manages 5-6 part-time front-of-house staffers, as well as a team of as many as 40 volunteer student ushers per semester.
Profile of an Ideal Candidate * Bachelor's degree, preferably in communications or marketing-related field, is necessary * One year experience in concert management, marketing or a related field is strongly preferred.
* Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and planning skills are necessary. * Quick problem-solving capabilities in high-energy settings. * Ability to management multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously. * Ability to manage and mentor students in front-of-house setting. * Must be self-reliant and able to meet tight deadlines. * Experience with event logistics and management. * Experience working in Microsoft Word and Excel.
About Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt University, located in Nashville, Tennessee, is a top-15 private research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. Vanderbilt is situated on a 330-acre campus near the thriving city center, serving more than 12,000 students and employing almost 7,000 faculty and staff. The university's students, staff, and faculty frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. Vanderbilt was recently named as one of "America's Best Large Employers" and the top employer in Tennessee and the Nashville metropolitan area in 2019 (Forbes).
About Vanderbilt Benefits
Vanderbilt University offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses, and dependent children.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Vanderbilt University is committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff, and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our campus values.
Internal Number: 1901282
About Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt University is a center for scholarly research, informed and creative teaching, and service to the community and society at large. Vanderbilt will uphold the highest standards and be a leader in the quest for new knowledge through scholarship, the dissemination of knowledge through teaching and outreach, and the creative experimentation of ideas and concepts. In pursuit of these goals, Vanderbilt values most highly intellectual freedom that supports open inquiry, equality, compassion, and excellence in all endeavors.