The University of Pittsburgh's Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition is one of the leading gastrointestinal centers in the country. The Division is committed to providing the best of tomorrow's medicine today and we are seeking a qualified Senior Genomics Lab Specialist.
The Senior Genomics Lab Specialist will facilitate genetic and functional genomic research in a laboratory that has an overall goal of understanding how human genetic variants confer risk for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Laboratory activities include:
- Intake and processing of study subject biosamples for genetic, gene expression, epigenetic, microbiome and biomarker analyses
- Entry of biosample data, biosample meta-data, and data derived from biosamples in computer databases
- Isolation of cells from peripheral blood and colonoscopic mucosal biopsy samples, and cell separations using magnetic bead-based and flow cytometry techniques
- Cell culture
- Analysis of DNA sequence variants using genotyping and DNA sequencing
- Analysis of gene expression using techniques such as bulk and single cell RNA-seq, and qPCR
- Analysis of chromatin states using techniques such as the assay for transposase-accessible chromatin with high-throughput sequencing
- Inventory and ordering of laboratory supplies
- Assisting with the preparation of laboratory supply budgets
The incumbent will coordinate projects with clinical research support staff within the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC and with personnel at external facilities that collaborate with or produce data for the research program. The incumbent will become highly familiar with and able to perform all laboratory activities and will take on a training and supervisory role as additional, more junior personnel join the laboratory.
Experience in cellular immunology and/or molecular biology laboratory work is required. Familiarity with flow cytometry, and familiarity with next generation sequencing library prep are desirable. Familiarity with the Microsoft Windows computer environment is necessary, and proficiency with Microsoft Excel is desirable. May consider substitution of equivalent education and experience.
Assignment Category: Fulltime-Regular
Job Classification: Staff.Research.IV
Minimum Education Level Required: Master's
Minimum Experience Level Required: 3-5 years experience
Work Schedule: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Hiring Range: $30,732.00 - $49,296.00
Relocation Offered: No
Visa Sponsorship Provided: No
Background Check: For position finalists, employment with the University will require successful completion of a background check
Founded in 1787, the same year the U.S. Constitution was signed, the University of Pittsburgh is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in the United States. One of three state-related research universities in Pennsylvania, Pitt is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), which comprises 62 preeminent doctorate-granting research institutions in North America.Pitt faculty members have expanded knowledge in the humanities and sciences, earning such prestigious honors as the National Medal of Science, the MacArthur Foundation’s “genius” grant, the Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award, and election to the National Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Medicine. Pitt scientists have defeated polio, unlocked the secrets of DNA, lead the world in organ transplantation, and pioneered TV and heavier-than-air flight, among numerous other accomplishments.Pitt students have earned Rhodes, Goldwater, Marshall, and Truman Scholarships, among other highly competitive national and international scholarships.Alumni have pioneered MRI and TV, won Nobel and Pulitzer Prizes, led corporations and universities, served in government and the military, conquered Hollywood and The New York Times bestsellers list, and won Super Bowls and NBA championships.