JOBSUMMARY: VUMC isseeking to hire a Phlebotomist 2, whom will have overall responsibilities forperforming Phlebotomy and Customer Service with minimal guidance. ThePhlebotomist 2 is responsible for accessioning specimens or patient tissuematerials for testing including packaging specimens or tissue materials to besent out to referring laboratory. The Phlebotomist 2 works closely with alllaboratory staff, medical staff, and external customers. The Phlebotomist 2 performscustomer service functions including telephone etiquette and basictroubleshooting and problem resolution.
Performs Phlebotomy to age specific guidelines.
Receives and triages specimens.
Prepares specimens and patient materials for shipping.
Provides general clerical support.
Provides general clerical support.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
TECHNICAL CAPABILITIES: PATIENT ASSESSMENT(INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates masteryof patient assessments in practical applications of a difficult nature.Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable ofsuccessfully delivering results without requiring support and instruction fromothers. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving instruction,providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of otherswhile on the job.
PHLEBOTOMY (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates mastery of phlebotomy inpractical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge,training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering products andservices using phlebotomy without requiring support and instruction fromothers. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technicalinstruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level ofperformance of others while on the job.
SPECIMEN COLLECTION - (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates mastery of specimencollection in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possessessufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfullydelivering specimen collection services without requiring support andinstruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example,giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising thelevel of performance of others while on the job.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiencyto successfully demonstrate the ability to maintain equipment, products, orsystems in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Assures that partsinventory is sufficient.
QUALITY ASSURANCE - (NOVICE):- Has provided continuous analysis andevaluation of assignment work processes, constantly striving for improvement inthe way tasks and activities are accomplished by questioning their value to theprocess and contributing creative solutions. Has participated in the process ofestablishing, communicating and monitoring standards for quality andexcellence. Demonstrates the ability to actually work on and improve a currentbusiness process, product or service.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - (NOVICE):- Demonstrates the ability to influencecustomers. Knows how to verify and clarify the needs and expectations ofcustomers. Responds quickly and efficiently to customer service requests.Participates in and conducts meetings with customers. Keeps customers informedof status via standard reporting techniques. Meets the continuing service needsof a customer group, including requests for changes in work content. Respondsto customers with an appropriate level of urgency, energy, persistence andtenacity.
Organizational Impact: Performs non-routine tasks that significantly impact team's performance with minimal guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Conducts research and analysis to solve some non-routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies broad job knowledge and has basic job skills in other areas.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to less experienced team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S3):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues' priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards .
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S3):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and 1year relevant experience
Three or moreyears of high volume venipuncture
VUMC DiagnosticLaboratories Summary
VanderbiltUniversity Medical Center (VUMC) has been rated the #1 Hospital in Nashvilleand the state of Tennessee by the US News & World Report. VUMCâs DiagnosticLaboratories - consisting of Laboratory Client Services (LCS), ClinicalPathology Services (CPS), Diagnostic Molecular & Genetics Services (DMGS),and Anatomic Pathology Services (APS) - have state-of-the-art automation andexceptional employees to meet the demands of accurately and timely performanceof tests, while providing our patients and their families with enhanced andexceptional care. VUMC is rated in the Top 100 Most Wired Hospitals withadvanced LIS systems and technologies.
VanderbiltâsDiagnostic Laboratories support adult and pediatric care for inpatient andoutpatient settings. Our team oriented culture gives you the opportunity tocontribute to breakthroughs with healthcare advancements. We support yourcareer growth with a comprehensive medical laboratory science program and anestablished Professional Advancement Ladder (PAL).
Locatedin Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching,discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals whocome to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a placewhere your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilitieschallenged. It is a place where your diversity â of culture, thinking, learningand leading â is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know theyare part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride intheir work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbiltâs mission is to advancehealth and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, andresearch.
Becausewe are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research,we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
USNews & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 HealthCare Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology (Bill Wilkerson Center), 9 adult and 9pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Educationand Training
TruvenHealth Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
Becker'sHospital Review: oneof the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
TheLeapfrog Group: grade"A" in Hospital Safety Score
NationalInstitutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medicalresearch in the US
AmericanAssociation for the Advancement of Science: 12 facultymembers elected fellows in 2014
MagnetRecognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored inMiddle Tennessee
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South. Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of our leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.The mission of Vanderbilt University Medical Center is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.