JOB SUMMARY: Provides service to patients and providers during inbound and outbound phone calls while scheduling appointments, capturing messages for the clinic staff and providers, and addressing the needs of the customer with occasional guidance. Schedules patient appointments, escalates patients' health concerns in accordance with individual division guidelines, provides connections to resources for clinical advice and guidance, and navigates complex situations while making sound effective decisions.
Answers calls for multiple areas in efficient and effective manner using standard greetings for opening of call, content of call and closure of call.
Ensures accuracy in answering questions and assisting customer with requests to meet their needs.
Captures customer information and document using messaging system to clinic staff and/or providers.
Schedules appointments in electronic systems using guidelines for area/department including prioritizing patients' health problems according to their urgency, educating/advising patients and making safe, effective decisions.
Provides information to customer regarding appointment location, process steps, parking, etc.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
CALL CENTER TELEPHONE ETIQUETTE (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS):- Able to handle patient or provider calls and contribute positively to the call center working environment. Demonstrates good manners, decorum and appropriate protocols. Avoids and neutralizes conflicts and handles difficult callers in a positive and professional way.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS):- A continuing focus on the needs and requirements of customers, anticipating their needs, remaining sensitive to customers while performing services for them, responsive to customer needs.
PATIENT SCHEDULING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS):- The ability to coordinate and schedule patient appointments, surgeries and other office visits with various computer systems in the hospital or clinic.
PATIENT SATISFACTION (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS):- Participates in patient satisfaction related process improvement activities as well as providing high quality contact experience for the patient with every call. This position also has direct effect on ease of scheduling appointment and ease of getting clinic on the phone.
Organizational Impact: Performs clearly defined tasks and methods described in detail to achieve standardized solutions that impact own performance with regular guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Follows a well established process to solve routine problems where solutions are clearly prescribed.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has basic job knowledge of systems and procedures that are common to own job.
Team Interaction: Individually contributes to the team.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S1):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S1):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S1):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standardsEnsures continuous improvement.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S1):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S1):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South. Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of our leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.The mission of Vanderbilt University Medical Center is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.