The Advisor/Coach at USC Upstate is responsible for advising undeclared and prospective students, promoting career competencies, and assisting with academic support. Academic advisors assess students' needs, goals, interests and prior academic experiences in order to guide students in the design and implementation of a successful academic plan. Duties will include advising undeclared and change of major students. Additionally, this position will be responsible for coordinating initiatives that promote student success, professionalism, and career development.
- Navigate students through the major transitions of college enrollment. Provide programming for students as they enter, continue to enroll, and leave the institution. Maintains an advising load and works directly with students to accomplish educational goals. Key aspects include maintenance of the integrity of academic policies, while being a student advocate and fostering a culture of student responsibility and success, providing students with information about possible consequences of academic decisions, and creating plans of study. Must maintain current knowledge of all degree programs.
- Assist students in the development of an educational plan including choosing a program of study and/or clarifying educational goals. Meet with students changing majors who are unsure of the appropriate major to choose.
- Oversee academic advising and registration for assigned undeclared majors. Navigate students through the major transitions of college enrollment. Educate students about course planning and registration processes. Refer students to campus resources to meet individual need.
- Improve first-year student preparedness for job search activities and professionalism in the workplace through developing and maintaining a career exploration unit for UNIV 101 and coordinate a major exploration event. Train other advisors and UNIV101 instructors on career competencies. Review resumes, personal statements, and cover letters as needed.
- Teach 1 section of a UNIV 101 (or other university studies class as assigned).
- Coordinate the Peer leaders program and facilitate UNIV 390.
- Maintains accurate data for reports and informed decision-making. Keeps advising statistics, work schedule and other reporting documents up-to-date. Monitor and respond to students using advising software (Starfish).
Will supervise part-time student workers.
Advertised Minimum Qualifications :
Masters degree required with a minimum of 3 years experience in higher education academic advising, academic support services, first year experience programming, career counseling or related field. A successful background check is required.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Internal Number: 55098
About The University of South Carolina
The University of South Carolina System is comprised of the state’s flagship university in Columbia (founded in 1801 and currently one of the top 50 “Best Colleges” according to U.S. News and World Report), three regional comprehensive universities (USC Aiken, USC Beaufort and USC Upstate), and Palmetto College consisting of four two-year campuses (USC Lancaster, USC Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union and Fort Jackson/Extended University). Together, the USC System institutions offer more than 450 degree programs on campus and online and are uniquely positioned to meet the state’s educational, cultural, health and research needs. The System employs nearly 14,000 people who work daily to improve the lives of students, fellow South Carolinians and the world. Our diverse engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.