Job Category: Computing/Information Technology Unit: Information Technology Position Code: SIT8833A Status: Open Closing Date: Applicant review and screening will begin on or around May 9th and will continue through selection. Salary: $60,000 - $67,000 Location: DCC - Downtown Campus Center Background check: Background check is required
Description: WHO WE ARE: The University of California, Merced, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of leadership, diversity, engagement and sustainability. Come be a part of history and join the first 21th Century research University.
WHAT WE VALUE:
- We recognize and celebrate the identities, values and beliefs of our community.
- We affirm the inherent dignity and value of every person while cultivating a campus climate rooted in mutual respect and compassion.
- We uphold the right to freedom of expression and encourage a culture of dialogue, understanding, and civility in all interactions. We seek to create a campus where a rich tapestry of ideas is shared, collaboration is embraced, and innovation is promoted.
- We pursue excellence in teaching and learning through contributions from all community members fostering a culture of open exchange.
- We promote opportunities for active participation and leadership in our communities.
- We champion civic engagement, environmental stewardship, research and teaching that connect theory and practice to learning and doing.
- We take pride in building, sustaining and sharing a culture that is founded on these principles of unity and respect.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR: IT Security Analyst II, Office of Information Technology
The IT Security Analyst II applies moderately complex IT security concepts and campus policies/procedures to resolve a variety of IT security problems. Works on IT security problems and projects of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors. Responds to security incidents, remediates vulnerabilities, and assesses risk across campus information systems and business processes. Protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of university information.
1) Implements moderately complex security controls to prevent unauthorized access or changes to campus information, hardware, software and/or network infrastructure. Researches and analyzes attempted efforts to compromise security protocols and reports findings to higher-level IT Security Analysts. Reviews logs and classifies events. Deploys policy changes including firewall rules, application configurations, and software patches in response to security events.
2) Performs risk analysis of various campus information systems and business processes to determine compliance with campus policy and procedures. Recommend remediations and corrective actions. Implement and verify corrective actions or compensating controls through close collaboration with system owners and functional users.
3) Assists with the detection, collection, examination and analysis of information regarding the causes and effects of security incidents. Applies professional IT security concepts, campus policies and procedures to respond to and escalate IT security incidents.
Qualifications: - Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science or related area and two (2) years of progressively responsible related experience or equivalent experience/training.(Required)
- Two to four years of progressively responsible related experience. Certifications such as Security+, Certified Ethical Hacker, GIAC Security Essentials. (Preferred).
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Basic skill at reading and interpreting security and event logs from various sources including Active Directory, syslog, firewalls, and web applications.
- Knowledge of endpoint security issues and common exploitation techniques including malware, phishing, attacking remote services, etc.
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Experience using IT security systems and tools including hardware/software firewalls, antivirus software, network vulnerability scanners, etc. Knowledge of data encryption techniques including whole disk encryption. Experience analyzing logs for security breaches.
- Experience interpreting policy, assessing compliance, and recommending appropriate controls to a variety of technical and non-technical campus constituents.
- Basic knowledge of Linux operating system (Preferred)
- Basic knowledge of incident response procedures.
To Apply: Click on the link below to use our new on-line application system.
If you do not have internet access you may mail your application, resume, and cover letter to: University of California, Merced, 5200 North Lake Rd., Merced CA 95343. Please list the job number on the subject line.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
E-Verify: Effective September 8, 2009, all employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit:
UC Merced is the first new American research university built in the 21st century, with a mission of research, teaching and service. The campus opened Sept. 5, 2005, in the San Joaquin Valley. The university is about an hour north of Fresno, two hours south of Sacramento, two hours southeast of San Francisco and the Silicon Valley, and 90 minutes west of Yosemite National Park.