Financial, Other Staff/Administrative, Staff/Administrative
Position Title: Payroll Practitioner I
Classification Title: FT Staff Non Union
City/Campus: Detroit - McNichols
Department: Human Resources
Position Status: Full Time
Process the student employment payroll by maintaining payroll information; directing the collection, calculation, and entering and auditing of student and other data. Provide support to the rest of the payroll process, including, but not limited to: preparation, entry and auditing of payroll, timekeeping, accruals, relaying enforcement policy according to the Department of Labor standards, union contracts, University policy, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Process the student employment payroll by maintaining payroll information; directing the collection, calculation, and entering of student and other data.
(2) Enter, review, audit and understand the various types of employee payroll documents and be capable of communicating effectively its functionality to team members. Enter, review, audit employee payroll information, job pay, jobs, tax withholding, direct deposit information, etc. into the Banner system. Assist with processing of all payrolls ensure proper pay calculated/received, time recorded properly, ensure correctness of rates of pay, accuracy of deduction amounts, accounts to be charged. Contact departments as appropriate to resolve issues related to payroll, primary for student payroll, and check requests.
(3) Compiles payroll information; completing reports; maintaining records, analyzes, prepares and inputs payroll data. Process and audit report information for use by department and external entities, as authorized. Assist in annual reporting, including but not limited to, Escheats for State of Michigan.
(4) Assist with system maintenance, procedures, and auditing for correctness of pay. Ensure all information processed, relayed, and reported is error-free.
(5) Respond to payroll and timekeeping inquiries in person, over the telephone and by e-mail to ensure optimal customer service in a professional, friendly and pleasant manner. Ensure all issues have been addressed and/or referred to the appropriate person/area. Assist employees in complying with policy and procedures required by the HR and Payroll Department. Ensure that all issues have been addressed and/or referred to the appropriate person/area. Ensure Payroll Manager is kept informed of issues as they arise.
(6) Audit accruals on a semi-annual basis. Prorate new hire accruals and ensure populated in the system as necessary with appropriate availability date. Prorate new hire accruals and ensure populated in the system as necessary with appropriate availability date.
(7) Administer filing of all student payroll and assist, if requested, in filing all payroll documentation in a timely and efficient manner according to departmental methodology for such, and ensure that budget signatures have been received.
(8) Update payroll records by reviewing exemptions and payroll deductions.
(9) Prepare paychecks for distribution/mailing and sort and receive approvals for completed payroll authorizations.
(10) Stay abreast of changes in the laws, assist in reviewing new taxation policies and laws and assist in system changes to ensure correctness of the payroll system. Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal wage and hour laws. Ensure employees comply with policy and procedure with regard to time entry/usage and any documentation required by the HR and Payroll Department. Refer employees to the Policies and Procedures Handbook or their union contract as appropriate. Analyze all records and policies in order to propose effective and efficient changes.
(11) Assist in understanding how the Banner System operates and changes that will be needed and how it will affect the functionality of the payroll department.
(12) Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
(13) Assist with all payroll-related as requested and contributes to the Payroll Department’s team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
(14) All other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or equivalent required.
A two-year college degree preferred.
Six months to two years experience.
Prior experience using payroll or accounting computer systems, running reports; Banner Human Resources system, a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge and proficient use of Microsoft computer applications to include Word, Excel, Access and Outlook; effective verbal and written communication skills; ability to maintain confidentiality of information as appropriate. High level of accuracy in data entry required.
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Salary/Pay Information: $16.00 per hour/minimum
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., some evenings and weekends.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: SF9920-CL001-3101-1070
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.