Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a globalcrossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is acommunity of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim ofchanging the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, yourknowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where yourdiversity â of culture, thinking, learning and leading â is sought andcelebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something thatis bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and neversettle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbiltâs missionis to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care,education, and research.
JOB SUMMARY: Utilizes technical animal husbandry skills with respect to the care and management of multiple and/or specialized animal colonies, with occasional guidance. Demonstrates knowledge of compliance with existing regulations.
Participates in the cleaning and maintenance of animal quarters.
Provides routine care of research animals. Performs daily checks for animal health and welfare and ensures adequate supply levels in animal quarters.
Monitors and reports on environmental room and housing conditions.
Recognizes and reports clinical abnormalities and/or irregularities in lab animals. Learns the variations among laboratory animals and modes of disease control.
Euthanizes all species according to established regulations.
Maintains accurate and prompt records in accordance with outlined procedures. Report areas of noncompliance.
Assists in training of staff in general procedures.
Understands and complies with operating and regulatory requirements related to care of laboratory animals.
COMMUNICATION (INTERMEDIATE):- Clearly, effectively and respectfully communicates to employees or customers.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (INTERMEDIATE):- A continuing focus on the needs and requirements of customers, anticipating their needs, remaining sensitive to customers while performing services for them, responsive to customer needs.
JUDGEMENT AND DECISION-MAKING (NOVICE):Able to make decisions effectively and accurately in an environment which may be fast-paced or changing. Considers a wide range of alternatives, including those which may fall outside of the scope of the task at hand, before making a decision.
PLANNING (NOVICE):- Plans work to complete projects on time. Competently handles multiple assignments simultaneously. Able to be flexible to meet changing customer needs with minimal disruption and loss of productivity. Uses time efficiently.
ANIMAL CARE KNOWLEDGE (INTERMEDIATE):Knowledgeable on the needs, treatment, and husbandry for different animal species. Able to ensure their welfare, nutrition, and safety.
REGULATORY COMPLIANCE (NOVICE):- Demonstrates knowledge of the appropriate rules and regulations and apply them in difficult, stressful and complex situations. Able to interpret and explain rules and regulations that are ambiguous or unclear. Directs others in interpreting rules and regulations on the job and trains others in them.
LABORATORY ANIMAL DISEASES (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS):Knowledge of and experience with laboratory animal diseases, outbreaks, methods of spread, and methods of limiting disease.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South. Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of our leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.The mission of Vanderbilt University Medical Center is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.