This position provides student service and administrative support to the Minnesota English Language Program (MELP) and Program in Translation and Interpreting (PTI) in the College of Continuing and Professional Studies (CCAPS). The person in this position plays an important customer service role and will be the first point of contact for prospective and current students. Daily responsibilities include coordinating front desk operations, assisting students and advising on registration and AZ hold requirements, processing student applications, coordinating the office technology needs, managing social media for the programs, and managing office supplies. The person in this position reports to the senior international student advisor, and requires strong interaction and collaboration with MELP and PTI program directors, faculty, and many university departments and offices.
Front desk operations and student support (50%) - Oversee front desk operations and work as first point of contact using a high level of customer service and professionalism. - Assist prospective students in applying to MELP and PTI programs. - Advise prospective students for MELP and PTI on testing, course selection, and progression. - Monitor the MELP and PTI programs’ email accounts and respond to inquiries in a timely manner. - Serve as point person for student housing. Coordinate housing program with the UMN Housing & Residential Life office and answer prospective student questions about housing. - Schedule and communicate with incoming students about orientation. - Assist the program coordinator, advisors and students across the University on issues related to AZ holds, meet with students and advise them on AZ hold requirements. - Manage registration permission numbers for MELP and PTI.
Office and administrative support (30%) - Maintain the programs’ websites and social media presence. Ensure that information is up to date and accurate. - Work with various agencies to market programs. - Maintain and update the online MELP Student Handbook. - Coordinate office technology and equipment needs with Office of Information Technology. - Serve as Department Access Coordinator (DAC) for MELP and PTI and manage office and technology access. - Serve as the Facilities Management contact for the office. Attend monthly campus facilities meetings and relay relevant information to MELP and PTI. - Manage PTI translation requests database, PTI text material orders process, and PTI purchasing records. - Coordinate bi-weekly MELP newsletter, Just for Fun - Manage office inventory, and office services through U Market and process invoices for outside vendors. - Supervise student workers’ daily work and on-going projects. - Other duties as assigned.
Admissions and records maintenance (20%) - Process applications and visa documents for MELP. - Process applications for PTI. - Serve as Designated School Official (DSO) in SEVIS, the federal visa management system; create draft SEVIS records for admitted students. - Maintain MELP and PTI data management systems and records utilizing CRM Salesforce, PeopleSoft, and department databases. - Monitor and manage course enrollments and provide reports to program directors as needed. - Compile weekly application and new student projections reports.
- High school diploma/GED
- Four years of general office experience including customer service or student support experience. Training/education may be substituted for some of the work experience.
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States (required to be a designated school official (DSO) working with the SEVIS database).
- Commitment to building a culture that respects and embraces diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Additional year of general office including customer service or student support experience
- Experience working with international students or second language learners
- Evidence of strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and adapt to shifting work flows
- Proficiency in one or more language in addition to English
- Experience using systems such as PeopleSoft, SEVIS, CRM Salesforce, APLUS, Destiny One, and Microsoft Office
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Previous international experience
- Marketing experience
Internal Number: 329282
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.