Academic Advisors are responsible for advising declared, undeclared, and prospective students, promoting good advisement practices, and assisting with academic support. Academic advisors assess students' needs, goals, interests, and prior academic experiences in order to guide students in the design and implementation of a successful academic plan. This position will serve NSE majors at USC Upstate. Responsible for coordinating comprehensive programs and initiatives that promote student success, including academic support, professionalism and protocol training, and career development.
- Navigate students through the major transitions of college enrollment. Provide programming for students as they enter, continue to enroll, and leave the institution. Maintains an advising load and works directly with students to accomplish educational goals. Key aspects include maintenance of the integrity of academic policies, while being a student advocate and fostering a culture of student responsibility and success, providing students with information about possible consequences of academic decisions, and creating plans of study. Must maintain current knowledge of degree programs.
- Assist students in the development of an educational plan including choosing a program of study and/or clarifying educational goals.
- Oversee academic advising and registration for assigned NSE majors. Educate students about course planning and registration processes. Refer students to campus resources to meet individual needs.
- Improve student preparedness for job search activities and professionalism in the workplace.
- Assist with coordination of outreach to at-risk students.
- Maintains accurate data for reports and informed decision-making . Keeps advising statistics, work schedule, and other reporting documents up-to-date. Monitor and respond to students using advising software (Starfish).
- Teach UNIV 101 (College Success Seminar).
- Cross-trained to assist in enrollment services during peak times.
Advertised Minimum Qualifications :
Master’s degree required with a minimum of 1 year experience in higher education academic advising, academic support services, first year experience programming, career counseling or related field. Ability to work and motivate traditional as well as nontraditional students, strong computer and interpersonal skills required. Successful background check required.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Internal Number: 54325
About The University of South Carolina
The University of South Carolina System is comprised of the state’s flagship university in Columbia (founded in 1801 and currently one of the top 50 “Best Colleges” according to U.S. News and World Report), three regional comprehensive universities (USC Aiken, USC Beaufort and USC Upstate), and Palmetto College consisting of four two-year campuses (USC Lancaster, USC Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union and Fort Jackson/Extended University). Together, the USC System institutions offer more than 450 degree programs on campus and online and are uniquely positioned to meet the state’s educational, cultural, health and research needs. The System employs nearly 14,000 people who work daily to improve the lives of students, fellow South Carolinians and the world. Our diverse engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.