Advertised Summary Job Description: ***An internal candidate has been identified and has applied for this position; however, we are still accepting applications and will consider all qualified candidates.***
Reporting to the HR Client Manager, Client Services, the HR Generalist is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with the Client Services team in supporting designated client groups. Provides day-to-day human resources consultation on areas such as Recruitment/Compensation, Performance Management, Onboarding, Policy Implementation, Employee Relations and Employment Law Compliance. The HR Generalist will provide high-quality counsel on daily employee relations, disciplinary actions, performance management issues and HR investigations. In addition, the HR Generalist will manage the University's background check program for assigned schools and departments by providing superior customer service while ensuring the proper application of university policies and guidelines. In addition, the incumbent will be the subject matter expert on BC's, serve as primary liaison between the University and the background check vendor ensuring that the service level meets the expectations as set forth in the contract. He or she will also assess needs and will make recommendations as necessary.
Characteristic Duties And Responsibilities:
- Provides day-to-day human resources consultation on areas such as Recruitment/Compensation, Performance Management, Onboarding, Policy Implementation, Employee Relations and Employment Law Compliance.. Support the HR Client Services team in implementation of programs to help improve the employee experience, developing departmental goals and facilitation of team meetings. Participant in Special Projects as required.
- Develops close working relationships with assigned client groups; Analyzes trends and makes recommendations on ongoing service improvement efforts. Reviews and approves recruitment process/activities, as it relates to the Applicant Tracking System, for assigned client areas.
- Ensures that HR related programs are carried out in accordance with Columbia's policies and procedures and provides advice to clients with respect to the interpretation of policies and procedures. Partners with client Services/LR on Employee and Labor Relations to provide guidance and counseling to managers and employees issues with assigned client areas.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of the pre-employment background check process and ensures efficient and customer-responsive services to assigned client areas. Serves as the primary liaison with the Vendor, HR Help Desk and HR Generalist for all matters related to background checks and BC's which are escalated.
-Ensures BRC staff have appropriate training on maintaining confidential information and any additional training required for completing their job duties. Provides training to HR community/managers and staff on background check procedures, legislative changes, decision making, and dissemination of results.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
General Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree or equivalent. Minimum of 4yrs of HR Management experience required.
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications: Customer-focused attitude with high-level of professionalism and discretion. Knowledge of principles and practices of HR Management. Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to proactively and assertively anticipate issues and address them as they arise. Demonstrated ability to work effectively partnering with others. Proven ability to apply good judgment, maintain confidence and mange confidential information. Advance knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically presentation and spreadsheet skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience in PeopleSoft preferred.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Internal Number: 126_175054
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.