Job Summary/Basic Function: Purpose and Scope: The successful candidate will have a strong track record of effective identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, preferably in a higher education setting, of donors and prospective donors at the $10,000 level or above. Reporting to the Associate Vice President for University Advancement, the MGO will work collaboratively with internal and external constituencies, including faculty and volunteers, to devise and implement strategies for building relationships, predominately with individuals, designed to maximize philanthropic support for the University. The individual in this position will serve as the chief development officer for responsible for planned and estate gifts across the University's colleges and will work close with the deans and faculty to achieve designated fund.raising goals. A creative, team-oriented approach to philanthropy with a broad geographic perspective will be an asset for candidates, as the MGO will conduct personal visits with alumni and friends of Lamar University throughout the state of Texas and nationwide.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for building and managing an assigned portfolio of donors and prospective donors. This includes participation in the identification of prospective donors, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities. It includes recommending and implementing cultivation and solicitation strategies of individual prospects, working with administration and faculty where appropriate. Some amount of travel and evening and weekend work is required.
2. Manage the Planned Giving Advisory Council and the volunteer members. Plan and implement strategies for cultivating and stewardship activities for planned giving donors in the Legacy Society.
3. Maintain knowledge of current tax laws, investments and planned giving opportunities and use this knowledge in prospect cultivation and solicitation.
4. Maintain knowledge and understanding of best practices in higher education philanthropy and demonstrate an ability to incorporate them into fundraising activities.
5. Write or assist in drafting proposals and other materials; assist with publicity an-angements on significant gifts.
6. Attend and participate at University. Alumni and other appropriate events, both on and off campus. to enhance the friend raising efforts of the University.
Minimum Qualifications: Qualifications and Experience:
Education: Bachelors degree required. JD or MBA or CFP certification strongly preferred Specialization or certification in Estate Planning and/or Probate law preferred.
Experience: Minimum of five years of successful experience as a development officer for an educational institution (preferred) or a non-profit organization, or ten years experience working with clients in estate planning.
In addition, the successful candidate must possess outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to interact positively and professionally with both the community at large and the internal campus community. Experience working with community and business leaders in business and social settings
Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal, relationship building skills. Must possess the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects to a successful completion.
Applicants should have the ability to work in a team environment where priorities may conflict, and consensus building is critical. Applicants should be comfortable working in and advocating for a community of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Security Sensitive Statement: This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Lamar University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Lamar University not to discriminate on the basis of non-relevant criteria including, but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities, admissions or employment practices.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Home to more than 14,000 students, Lamar University is one of the fastest growing universities in Texas and is a member of The Texas State University System. LU offers more than 100 programs of study leading to bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The 270-acre campus in Beaumont is about 90 miles east of Houston and about 25 miles west of Louisiana