The Custodial Supervisor performs responsible supervisory work involving the assignment and direct supervision of custodial employees in maintaining the cleanliness and sanitation of buildings, offices, classrooms, fitness centers, laboratories, furnishings and equipment as well as building entrances and exterior walkways. The Custodial Supervisor is also responsible for training new employees in proper custodial procedures for the use of manually operated tools, electrically-powered machines, cleaning compounds, solvents and chemicals.
Description of Primary Duties:
The shift hours will be 5 pm to 1:30 am Monday through Friday
1. Supervises the activities of Custodial Foreman, Custodian I’s and, temporary employees or student workers directly by using both verbal and written instructions in compliance with the guidelines provided by the immediate supervisor and using independent judgment in instances not covered by the guidelines.
2. Ensures that custodial services meet the needs of the department, the University, and established custodial guidelines by scheduling work activities and adjusting workloads to compensate for scheduled and unscheduled absences, changing priorities, and special custodial projects.
3. Ensures that the quality of custodial services meets established guidelines by inspecting the work of custodial personnel and directing corrective measures to be taken when necessary to meet those guidelines.
4. Develops an effective team of custodial personnel by instructing all employees in the proper methods and use of materials and equipment for safe and efficient work performance, evaluating individual performances to meet established standards, providing require performance evaluations on custodial personnel and making recommendations regarding the retention of new employees.
5. Assists in hiring qualified employees by participating in the interview process and making recommendations regarding the employment of applicants.
6. Enforces University rules and policies regarding employee conduct by advising custodial personnel of the University’s rules and policies on employee conduct, issuing verbal warnings and written reprimands for violations, and recommending progressive disciplinary action to the immediate supervisor as appropriate.
7. Ensures that custodial personnel have the equipment and supplies necessary to perform custodial services by issuing supplies as needed, completing request form(s) for replacement items, and storing the supplies and equipment in a secure storage facility.
8. Evaluates new custodial supplies and equipment by conducting testing of such items and recommending the appropriateness of their use.
9. Advises the immediate supervisor on the condition of University buildings and facilities by conducting regular inspections of those areas and reporting the results of the inspections with particular emphasis on needed repairs.
10. Ensures that administrative records and reports regarding custodial personnel are accurate and current by reviewing employee time cards or monthly time sheets and monitoring employee absences.
11. Performs daily custodial duties as needed in support of the departmental mission.
12. Provides continuity of custodial services under emergency conditions or unique circumstances by performing custodial duties directly related to the emergency conditions or as the situation dictates.
13. Assists with ensuring that specified contract services are provided by the contractor by inspecting the work performed and advising the immediate supervisor when shortcomings or other deficiencies are noted.
14. Provides continuity of supervision and leadership by assuming the duties and responsibilities of other Custodial Supervisors as required by special circumstances.
15. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
16. Remains competent and current by attending training and/or courses required by the immediate supervisor.
17. Contributes to the overall success of the assigned department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
Education: A high school diploma or the equivalent is required.
Experience: At least four years of experience in custodial services, two of which must have been supervisory, which includes knowledge of cleaning procedures, equipment and supplies, is required. Four years of custodial supervisory experience is preferred.
Skills: Supervisory skills; management skills, such as planning and organizing; strong oral and written communication skills; and the abilities to train new employees are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Requires the ability to inspect the cleanliness of facilities and areas that may only be accessible by climbing ladders or stairs, bending, reaching on top of partitions, cabinets, bookcases and ledges, moving furniture, supplies, or equipment. Must be able to move throughout assigned areas, as work is performed indoors and out-of-doors. Requires the ability to lift and carry custodial supplies and equipment weighing up to 75 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 100 pounds on an occasional basis. Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual and electrically-powered cleaning equipment and machines to include snow shovels. Employees in this job classification (job title) are designated as essential employees and must report to work as scheduled when University offices are closed due to severe weather.
Other: Positions associated with this position classification may be located in facilities requiring the position to be designated
Do you value every voice and every opinion?
Are you inspired to create a better future for yourself and others?
Are you ready to make a difference?
If so, Missouri State has a place for you
Missouri State University is a public, comprehensive university system with a mission in public affairs. Our purpose is to develop fully educated persons with a focus on ethical leadership, cultural competence and community engagement.
• Enrollment of 26,000 students who come from around the state and the world.
• Four-campus system: Springfield, Mo., West Plains and Mountain Grove, Mo., and Dalian,
• Students’ average ACT score above national average
• Strong commitment to both teaching and research
• More than 190 undergraduate options; 90 graduate options
• Located in Springfield, third-largest city in state; known for beautiful outdoors, friendly people, superior health care, excellent public schools, and a variety of entertainment and cultural opportunities.
Missouri State is committed to benefiting our surrounding communities. We want to create the next generation of citizen leaders through an unrivaled educational experience that emphasizes a com...mitment to public affairs.
With a campus community filled with diverse perspectives, voices and opinions, Missouri State is fulfilling its commitment to address the needs of a changing society. We are a community of forward-thinking teachers, learners and leaders.
We cultivate students of character who enter the workforce as well-rounded professionals and honest, confident individuals. We believe in innovation, bringing fresh, relevant ideas to our area.
We are dedicated to enriching our city and region, whether through cultural offerings, research and scholarly endeavors, internship programs or the development of facilities that serve a broader community beyond our campus borders.
When you work at Missouri State, you tap into a network of leaders with an appreciation for big-picture thinking and a continual desire to address the professional, personal and societal needs of our changing region. There's no limit to the statement we can make together.