ANATOMIC PATHOLOGY TECHNICIAN (HOURLY)
|Job Location:||UW Medical Center |
|Closing Info:||Open Until Filled |
|Salary:||$20.43 - $28.37 per hour|
|This classification is governed by a negotiated labor contract and is subject to union shop provisions. For more information about union shop provisions, visit Union Information |
|Shift:||Temp-Hourly, Shifts Start between 3:00-4:00am |
|Notes:||This position has been reposted 3/19/2014 |
|Join our award-winning team at University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC). Among the top medical centers in the United States as rated by U.S. News & World Report "America's Best Hospitals", UWMC prides itself on compassionate patient care as well as its pioneering medical advances. UWMC is operated by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW's School of Medicine. The University of Washington is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty. |
Our Anatomic Pathology Department at UW Medical Center has an outstanding opportunity for a Temporary-Hourly Anatomic Pathology Technician working in our Pathology Lab. Under general supervision, the Anatomic Pathology Technician is responsible for preparation and examination of specimens, provision of procedural information and specimen protocol to medical or academic staff, personnel from referring institutions/agencies, and other employees.
Primary Job Duties Include:
- The AP Technician receives & accurately processes tissue specimens, tissue blocks or other approved requests for UW Medicine Pathologists.
- Evaluates and documents that quality control standards are met and assists in troubleshooting any problems that arise in methodology or instrumentation.
- Reviews and evaluates results of testing performed and informs supervisor, director and staff of any technical problems.
- Independently monitors reagent use and prepares appropriate volumes needed, records daily instrument temperatures and performs preventative maintenance on instruments according to prescribed protocols.
- Successfully navigates the network computer to accession research cases, order lab tests, review work lists and provide case status to inquiring pathologists and clinicians.
- The AP Technician may perform procedures in various services of anatomic pathology such as histology, gross room, flow cytometry, electron microscopy, immunohistochemistry, and autopsy.
- Perform other duties as directed.
|Certified, or certified within two years from the date of hire, at the Technician level by a nationally recognized certifying agency such as the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, the American Society of Clinical Laboratory Scientists or the Microscopy Society of America OR equivalent education/experience. |
- Bachelor's Degree with coursework in chemistry, biology and other biological sciences including microscopy
- Certification , or certified within two years of date of hire, at the Technologist level by a nationally recognized certifying agency such as the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, the American Society of Clinical Laboratory Scientists or the Microscopy Society of America
- One year of clinical anatomic laboratory experience
|Condition of Employment:|
|This is a temporary-hourly position, shifts starting between 3:00-4:00am |